This material is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use
under the terms of the Open Game License v1.0a.
- +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or
penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at
this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a
medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in
- Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision
is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and
dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
- Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on
Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls,
stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old),
unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something
that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual
stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework
can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf
can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf
can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as
naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes and
dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to
resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but
not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type.
Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class,
such as when it's caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or
- Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant,
Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf's fighter class does
not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty